Translate

Saturday, November 28, 2020

Down to Earth. Ruffles the Pigeon. November 16.2018

 

Ruffles the Pigeon. November 16.2018

So I bumped into Jesus at the Wawa this morning. He was sitting on the curb with a pigeon cuddled against him.

ME: Hi. Who’s your friend?

JESUS: This is Ruffles. Actually, his real name is Kenny. But the good folks who work in the store named him. He’s from Jersey City.

ME: How do you know that?

JESUS: Really? You need to ask?

ME: Right. Sorry. What’s he doing here?

JESUS: Dad’s Beta testing a new “Love Thy Neighbor” campaign. We tried it down in Texas with the caravans, but that didn’t work out so well. He thought that people love cute little animals, so he sent Kenny down here.

ME: He really is adorable. So how’s it working out?

JESUS: Couldn’t be better. People are feeding him. They named him. They worry that he might be too cold out here and if he has a place to live. It’s really amazing. Now if we could just figure out how to get them to do the same with humans…

ME: Yeah, good luck with that.  Listen, I’m going inside. Want anything?

JESUS: Yes! They have those hot turkey bowls now. Can you swing one of them along with a coffee and some smokes?

ME: No problem. How about Ruffles…I mean, Kenny?

JESUS: Call him Ruffles. He’s undercover you know. Naw, I’ll share my stuff with him. Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me. That includes Ruffles.

ME: You’re alright, you know that?

JESUS: Eh…it’s a living.

ME: I wish it had worked out in Texas.

JESUS: It will. I know people.

ME: You want me to call someone?

JESUS: What for? Kenny is a carrier pigeon.

ME: Always thinking, aren’t you?

JESUS: Someone has to.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment